Harassment is not okay. The Vancouver UX Awards aim to be safe, inclusive, and fun. Our community is respectful and friendly, so we don't anticipate problematic behaviour. But, if something does happen, we want you to know we've got your back.
What is harassment?
For the purposes of attending any event related to the Vancouver User Experience Awards, these unacceptable behaviours will be considered harassment:
- Offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, mental health, body size, race, or religion
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Inappropriate photography or video/audio recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical or sexual contact and/or unwelcome physical or sexual attention
- Sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes or anything else that creates a sexualized environment
We expect participants to follow these rules at the official awards event and any related social events. Participants asked to stop any harassing behaviours are expected to comply immediately.
What should I do if I'm being harassed?
Contact a volunteer or organizer right away. You will recognize them because they will have distinctive identification, such as a lanyard, name tag, or t-shirt.
You may request a private conversation with Mallory O’Connor, or you may email email@example.com if you prefer not to report the incident in person.
How will the Vancouver UX Awards respond to harassment?
If anyone behaves in a harassing manner, conference volunteers and/or organizers will take immediate action. We'll use our best judgment to resolve the situation as quickly as possible. Here are some of the actions we may deem appropriate:
- A warning to the offender not to repeat the harassing behavior
- Expulsion from the event without a refund
- Contacting venue security
- Providing a safe escort for the harassed person
- Reporting the incident to local law enforcement
We will work with both parties in good faith to ensure that any harassment ceases immediately. We will do whatever we can to be sure you feel safe for the duration of the event.
Who does this policy cover?
All event organizers, volunteers, speakers, attendees, judges, and sponsors are protected by and expected to follow this policy.